Monday, December 1, 2014

From Columbia Recruiting Battalion Internship to Published Cookbook Author

Latest accomplishment of Michelle Margocee Gainey, who interned in our office in 2010-20111.

Michelle Margocee Gainey interned in our Advertising and Public Affairs Office in 2010-2011. At the time, she was a University of South Carolina student who was working on her Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations. She worked in our office for several months and then graduated with her degree in 2011.
Recently, she published her first cookbook which she wrote and photographed. We asked her how working in our office prepared her for her future and success. To learn more from Michelle, find her at
https://www.facebook.com/asoutherngirlgoesgourmet


Why did you choose to become an intern at the Advertising and Public Affairs office (APA) of Columbia Recruiting Battalion instead of another business?


I initially chose to intern with the APA office because my husband was off at basic training, and I wanted to get myself acquainted with the Army. I had a preconceived notion that the people who work for the Army would be very serious, having as little fun as possible at work. I was so excited to see that this isn't the case at all! I worked in some fun community outreach programs, created videos and brochures. But, most of all, I was able to be creative. The people I met were always smiling as they worked, and I was happy every day I was a part of their team!





Any advice to other students on this internship or being an intern in general?


I believe that this internship was the best decision for me, as I found out that the Army isn't always scary and too serious. They are people just like us that enjoy what they do, and make a difference in what people do to better their lives. I was astounded at the level of creativity I was able to have. I would absolutely recommend this internship, as you may find out that you would really like to work for them long-term. It is a very professional atmosphere, and I got so much out of my experience. Choose them first!


Did you learn things working with the military that helped you for future jobs?


I learned a great deal about professionalism and interacting with other professionals. These people were very good at efficiency and getting their work done in a timely manner. I would say that their efficiency rubbed off on me more than I realized. As a cookbook author, I need to multitask much more than I thought. The Army helped me work on balancing different projects, maintain my creativity for each one, and produce real results at the end of the day. 


What was the best part of the internship experience?


I can't lie; I loved the relationships I gained both  friendships and professional relationships. I consider L.A. Sully a friend, and I am always excited to share my new professional adventures with her! As a rather timid young lady, talking to the higher ranking soldiers was very intimidating. However, I felt so good about myself when I was able to interview them for the different videos and promotional material I worked on. I appreciated the bright spirit that the Lt.Col. White brought into the office whenever he popped in to check on everyone. 


Would you recommend a student doing an internship here even if they have no plans of future Army work?


I cannot recommend it enough!! I learned so much about working with people who have been working so long to perfect their craft. When you are surrounded with focused, efficient, and driven people, it is bound to rub off on you too. If you do an internship here, it will be a great character building experience that speaks volumes on your resume!




No comments:

Post a Comment

We are the Army Recruiting Battalion in Columbia, SC. We cover Military and Community events and news around SC and parts of NC and GA. Check our blog for interesting stories and photos!